Saturday, September 14, 2013

Bout Day


As I sit here gearing up my brain for my team’s second bout, I find myself considering what got me into derby in the first place:

People who’d obviously trained their hind parts off but still didn’t take themselves too seriously.

Real warmth and smiles between opponents before and after the whistles.

Fierce competition and hard physical play between the whistles.

A focus on excellence in a highly challenging sport.

Acceptance.  There was no stereotypical ‘best derby player’ type.

Glorious chaos accepted with good humor and a healthy dose of jamnesia.

…and since then the sport has taught me:  Inclusion.  It’s not all about the players on the track.  There is a wide variety of important roles.

My message to myself and my team today:  Let’s go out there and be the excellence we want to see in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment